LUMICKS Privacy Statement
We take your privacy and security seriously. See below how.
Within LUMICKS Technologies B.V and its subsidiaries (LUMICKS) we are committed to respect and protect your privacy in compliance with EU- General Data Protection Regulation 2016/679, dated April 27th 2016 (the GDPR) and all other regulations that apply to the nature of our business. This Privacy Statement will set out and explain LUMICKS´ procedures in order for LUMICKS to be in compliance with the GDPR and other national and international laws, such as the CAN-SPAM act and the Code Reclame via E-mail. We will explain why we collect personal information, when, how we use it, how we keep it safe, the conditions under which we may disclose it to others and what you can do to access your stored data. This Privacy Statement applies to all our services that includes among others the use of our products, our marketing activities, business development activities, sales processes, customer contract fulfilment activities and recruitment.
2. Who are we
LUMICKS B.V. develops and delivers dynamic single-molecule and single-cell solutions for life science. Our company headquarters are located in Amsterdam, the Netherlands, while our subsidiary company LUMICKS Inc. is based in Waltham, MA, USA.
We operate throughout the whole world.For all our services, the data controller – the company that is responsible for your privacy – is LUMICKS B.V. We can be contacted by e-mail:
3. When do we collect personal data about you?
- When you are visiting our website or any affiliate website (e.g. https://harbor.lumicks.com);
- When you are purchasing our products;
- When you are using our products in training, workshops or demonstrations given by us;
- When you interact with one of LUMICKS’ employees or representatives in person, through correspondence, by social media or through our websites;
- When you send us an e-mail with respect to an open position within LUMICKS;
- We may collect personal data if it is considered to be of legitimate interest and if this interest is not overridden by your privacy interests. Before data is collected, we make sure an assessment is made ensuring that there is an established mutual interest between you and LUMICKS. For instance, if you recently published an article related to the field of research we operate in, we may save your name and publication subject for contact purposes in order to explain why our product may be helpful for your research.
4. What information we collect
We may collect and store the following information:
Your title, name, job title, and your company’s or institution’s name. We may store your contact information including your e-mail address and phone number. We also might collect demographic information (such as city) and other information (for instance preferences and research interests) with respect to our products and our markets. We occasionally collect feedback, comments and questions we received from you in service, marketing, HR and/or sales related communication and activities, like notes from meetings, phone-calls, documents, and e-mails. Furthermore, we collect payment information and your purchase history. From our websites, we collect IP-addresses from your phone or laptop and how you use our website.
5. What do we do with the information and what are we planning to do with it
We collect and use personal data mainly to perform direct marketing, business development activities, sales activities customer service and the recruitment of new employees. We also collect data about our existing and previous suppliers, partners and employees working within our company.
We need this information to understand your needs, provide you with a better service, perform our contractual obligations and in some cases to be compliant with various laws and regulations. In particular, we may use your data for the following purposes:
- For internal record keeping;
- To inform our marketing strategy team in order to align products with market needs and to personalize our marketing and sales approach;
- To send marketing e-mails about our new products, special offers, workshops or other information that might be relevant to you. This communication is subscription based and requires your consent;
- Send you information about the products and services you have purchased from us;
- Perform direct business development and sales activities in cases where legitimate and mutual interest is established;
- Provide you information and details about a workshop or other type of event you signed up for;
- Reply to a “more information” or other web forms you have completed on the LUMICKS website (g., to download a brochure);
- Follow up on incoming requests (e-mails, phone calls, customer support);
- Perform contractual obligations, like order confirmation, invoices, reminders etc. ;
- Occasionally, we may use your information to contact you for market research purposes. For example, to hear your opinion about our products and/or services. We may contact you then by e-mail or phone; and
- Recruitment and hiring purposes.
6. Sharing your information
We do not, and will not, sell any of your personal data to any third party – including your name, address, email address or credit card information. We want to earn and maintain your trust, and we believe this is absolutely essential in order do that. However, we share your data with the following categories of companies as an essential part of being able to provide our services to you, as set out in this statement:
- Companies in the LUMICKS group, as it could be that different bits of our group are responsible for different activities;
- Companies that do things to get your purchases to you, such as payment service providers, order packers, and delivery companies;
- Professional service providers, such as marketing agencies, advertising partners and website hosts, who help us run our business;
- Our distributors, agents, sub-contractors or other associated organizations with the purpose of them providing services to you on our behalf;
- We may provide third parties with aggregated but anonymized information and analytics about our customers and, before we do so, we will make sure that it does not identify you.
More in particular, we use our user platform Harbor (https://harbor.lumicks.com) to allow users to share and comment on user generated scripts for experiment automation and data analysis. LUMICKS collects information directly from you for your registration and user profile. LUMICKS also automatically collects from you your usage information, cookies and similar technologies, and device information, subject, where necessary, to your consent. LUMICKS only collects the minimum amount of personal information necessary from you, unless you choose to provide more information.
We will disclose your personal information if required by law or if we, as a company, reasonably believe that disclosure is necessary to protect LUMICKS’ rights and/or to comply with a judicial proceeding, court order or legal process. However, we will do what we can to ensure that your privacy rights continue to be protected.
7. Our legal basis for collecting personal data
- Collecting personal data based on consents
The collection of personal data based on consent from the data subject will be done by using “Consent Forms” that will store documentation related to the consent given by you. Your consent will always be stored and documented in our systems.
- Collecting personal data based on contracts
We use personal information for fulfilling our obligations related to contracts and agreements with customers, partners, and suppliers.
- Collecting personal data based on legitimate interest
We may use personal data if it is considered to be of legitimate interest, and if the privacy interests of the data subjects do not override this interest. Normally, to establish the legal basis for data collection, an assessment has been made during which a mutual interest between LUMICKS and the individual person has been identified. This legal basis is primarily related to our sales and marketing purposes.
8. How long do we keep your personal data?
We store personal data for as long as we find it necessary to fulfill the purpose for which the personal data was collected. In this respect we consider the need to answer your queries or resolve possible problems, to comply with legal or tax requirements under applicable laws and regulations, to attend to any legal claims/complaints, and for safeguarding purposes.
This means that we may retain your personal data for a reasonable period of time after your last interaction with us. When the personal data that we have collected is no longer required, we will delete it in a secure manner. We may process data for statistical purposes, but in such cases, data will be anonymized.
The deletion of your personal data is further described in paragraph 11.
Cookies do not save information capable of directly identifying you (such as your name or address). However, you may prefer to disable cookies on this site and on others. The most effective way to do this is to disable cookies in your browser. We suggest consulting the Help section of your browser or taking a look at the About Cookies website which offers guidance for all modern browsers.
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorized access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online.
- All LUMICKS employees use encrypted computers;
- We store all company-related documents in a cloud-based storage that adheres to all necessary security features; and
- We store personal data in our business development CRM software (Pipedrive) and marketing automation platform (MailChimp). Both software have strict security measures in place with the purpose to protect company data from breaches. You can find more information about pipedrive’s and MailChimp’s security measures here and here, respectively.
- We store personal data in our recruitment CRM software (Hello Talent). Hello Tallent is certified in accordance with ISO 27001 and exclusively hosts its software solutions in high
security data centers within the EU. Furthermore, all of its employees who process or use personal data are obligated to maintain confidentiality.
- Our user platform Harbor takes all measures reasonably necessary to protect user personal information from unauthorized access, alteration or destruction; maintain data accuracy; and help ensure the appropriate use of personal information. Our measures:
- Include security safeguards reasonably designed to protect the integrity, availability, and resilience of our users’ data;
- Are appropriate to the nature, size, and complexity of LUMICKS’ and Harbor’s business operations;
- In the event of a data breach that affects your user personal information, we will act promptly to mitigate the impact of a breach and notify any affected users without undue delay;
- Transmission of data on Harbor is encrypted using SSL (TLS);
- No method of transmission, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure. Therefore, we cannot guarantee its absolute security.
11. Your rights to your personal data
You have the following rights with respect to your personal data:
- The right to request a copy of your personal data that LUMICKS holds about you;
- The right to request that LUMICKS corrects your personal data if inaccurate or out of date;
- The right to request that your personal data is deleted when it is no longer necessary for LUMICKS to retain such data;
- The right to withdraw any consent to personal data processing at any time. For example, your consent to receive e-marketing communications. If you want to withdraw your consent to e-marketing, please make use of the link to manage your subscriptions included in our communication. Please note that you may still receive system messages and administrative communications from LUMICKS, such as order confirmations, system messages and notifications about your account activities;
- The right to request that LUMICKS provides you with your personal data and, if possible, to pass on this information directly (in a portable format) to another data controller when the processing is based on consent or contract;
- The right to request a restriction on further data processing, in case there is a dispute in relation to the accuracy or processing of your personal data; and
- The right to object to the processing of personal data, in case data processing has been based on legitimate interest and/or direct marketing.
Any query about your Privacy Rights should be sent to email@example.com.
12. Changes to this Privacy Statement
LUMICKS reserves the right to amend this Privacy Statement at any time. The applicable version will always be found on our websites. We encourage you to check this Privacy Statement occasionally to ensure that you are happy with any changes. If there are any significant changes to this Statement, we will send you a notification before the change becomes effective. If you have an unresolved privacy or data use concern that we have not addressed satisfactorily, please contact us by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
13. Your right to complain with a supervisory authority
If you are unhappy with the way in which your personal data has been processed, you may, in the first instance, contact email@example.com. If you remain dissatisfied, then you have the right to apply directly to your national supervisory authority for a decision.
This Privacy Statement was last updated on June 24, 2019.