Within LUMICKS Technologies B.V and its subsidiaries (LUMICKS) we are committed to respect and protect your privacy in compliance with EU- General Data Protection Regulation 2016/679 (the GDPR) and all other regulations that apply to the nature of our business, such as the Dutch Telecommunications Act. This Privacy Statement will set out and explain LUMICKS´ procedures in order for LUMICKS to be in compliance with the GDPR and other national and international laws applicable to the processing of personal data. We will explain why we collect personal information, when, how we use it, how we keep it safe, the conditions under which we may disclose it to others, and what you can do to access your stored data or to exercise your additional rights under the GDPR. This Privacy Statement applies to all our services that include among others the use of our products, our marketing activities, business development activities, sales processes, customer contract fulfillment activities, and recruitment.
2. Who are we
LUMICKS B.V. develops and delivers dynamic single-molecule and single-cell solutions for life science. Our company headquarters are located in Amsterdam, the Netherlands, while our subsidiary company LUMICKS Inc. is based in Waltham, MA, USA and our representative office in Beijing, China. We operate throughout the whole world.
For all our services, the data controller – the company that is responsible for your privacy and the processing of your personal data – is LUMICKS B.V. We can be contacted by e-mail:
3. Your personal data
This Privacy Statement applies to all our services and the processing of your personal data in this matter.
LUMICKS will process your personal data for the purposes set forth below. LUMICKS will hereinafter identify the categories of personal data involved, the specific purpose of processing, and the legal basis that LUMICKS relies on for each purpose. LUMICKS shall not process your personal data for any purposes other than those that are set out in this Privacy Statement. In addition hereto, your personal data will not be stored for longer than is necessary for these purposes, unless we are required to do so under law.
In general, we shall request your prior consent for the processing of your personal data, unless said data is ought to be required for the performance of a contract, we are obliged to process it under law, or if we have a legitimate interest in doing so. Where the processing is based on your consent hereto, you have the right to withdraw this consent at any time. Please be informed that the withdrawal of consent shall not affect the lawfulness or processing based on consent before its withdrawal.
If you choose not to provide us with certain personal data, we may not be able to provide you with our services. LUMICKS will inform you of what personal data is required when collecting such personal data or in this Privacy Statement. LUMICKS only collects the minimum amount of personal information necessary from you, unless you choose to provide more information.
3.1. Use of our website
Brochures, application notes, flyers, and newsletters
Via our website, www.lumicks.com, you may download several brochures or flyers on our products by filling in your first and last name, name of your organization or lab, and an e-mail address. This data will be used to send you the requested brochures or flyers and to send you personalized e-mails by our Application Scientists and Account Managers.
You may also opt-in to receive marketing e-mails about our new products, special offers, workshops or other information that might be relevant to you. You may at all times opt-out, unsubscribe or withdraw your consent to receive such details or special offers by clicking on the “unsubscribe” button at the footer of each e-mail, or by sending an e-mail to this effect to firstname.lastname@example.org. After such withdrawal of consent LUMICKS will delete your e-mail address from our internal records on our newsletters and marketing e-mails as quickly as possible, within a maximum of 5 working days.
Webinars & workshops
You may attend several webinars via our website www.lumicks.com. To attend a webinar we will ask you to provide us with your first and last name, email address, job position, country, and lastly your organization or lab.
To download and watch previously-held webinars we ask you to fill in your first and last name, e-mail address, name of the organization, your country, and your position/job title. This data will be used to send you certain personalized e-mails by our Application Scientists or Account Managers.
If you are interested in attending a LUMICKS workshop, you may register for such a workshop via the particular registration page on our website. To submit your registration via the registration form, you must provide your first and last name, the name of your university and lab, your e-mail address, your phone number and the workshop location of your choice. Optionally, you may give us more information about your research field, applications, and motivation for attending the workshop. This data will also be used to have our Application Scientists send you personalized e-mails on possibly interesting topics, and to check your actual attendance at the workshop location at stake.
You may contact us via our contact form on our website for more information, a demo on our products, or a quote. We will ask you to provide us with your first and last name, your country, and an e-mail address. Optionally, you may choose to inform us on the university of lab you are working with, and to provide us with your phone number if you wish to be contacted by phone rather than by e-mail.
Cookies and similar techniques
Access and use of Harbor
For information on the processing of your personal data through the access and use of Harbor, LUMICKS’ own platform and interactive community of researchers that allows you to share and comment on user-generated scripts for experiment automation and data analysis, we kindly refer you to the following privacy statement: Privacy Statement Harbor.
3.2. Our products
LUMICKS offers several products via our online LUMICKS Store. In order to purchase one of our products, we request you to provide us with your first and last name, your shipping address, phone number, and e-mail address. Without such information, we are not able to ship or deliver our products. If the product must be shipped to your company’s address, you may also fill in the accurate company name to avoid any wrong deliveries.
You may also request a quote at the checkout page of our online store to explore the possibility to order through a purchase order. In order to send such a quote, we will ask for your e-mail address and your street address information.
You may register and create an account for our online LUMICKS Store. To create such an account, you must provide a username, your e-mail address, and a password. The username will be displayed in the account section and when writing reviews. From this account, you can view your recent orders, manage your shipping and billing addresses, and edit your account details (such as your name, username, and password). You may also find an overview of recent quote requests. The provided shipping and billing addresses via your LUMICKS Store account will be used on the checkout page by default.
In addition to the above, we may collect demographic information (such as the city you are living in or located in) on an anonymized basis to analyze the overall interests of our customers. Furthermore, we collect payment information to check whether the payment has actually gone through, and will save your purchase history to understand your needs, to personalize our marketing and sales approach, and to provide you with a better service. This data will only be used to align our products with market needs and to fulfill our legitimate interests thereto. You may always object to these activities by way of opposing this or contacting LUMICKS.
After placing an order, we will send you an e-mail to confirm this order and to inform you of the delivery thereof. We may also send you information about the products and services you have purchased from us.
3.3. Careers at LUMICKS
Via our website, we display all currently available vacancies within LUMICKS. If you wish to apply to one of our vacancies or to send an open job application, you may use our contact form, in which you must provide us with your first and last name, your e-mail address, a short motivation as to why you wish to join LUMICKS, and a copy of your CV.
As we are committed to supporting an inclusive and diverse work environment for everyone and to respect differences and oppose discrimination, we may gather information of a sensitive nature, including your nationality, racial and/or ethnic origin, and gender, which information you may provide on a voluntary basis.
The information provided by you will only be used for recruitment and selection purposes only, so we may assess whether you are suitable for the vacant position at stake.
After the application procedure has been completed, your data will be deleted within four weeks, unless you have given us your permission to store your data for up to one year hereafter.
If you recently published an article related to the field of research we operate in, we may save your name and publication subject for contact purposes in order to explain why our product may be helpful for your research. In this respect, we make use of an online service that may visualize or identify certain academic entities operating in a specific field of expertise and will only use openly accessible information that is ought to be published for contact purposes.
4. Sharing your information
We do not, and will not, sell any of your personal data to any third party – including your name, address, email address, or credit card information. We want to earn and maintain your trust, and we believe this is absolutely essential in order to do that. However, we share your data with the following categories of companies as an essential part of being able to provide our services to you, as set out in this statement:
- Companies in the LUMICKS group, as it could be that different bits of our group are responsible for different activities;
- Companies that do things to get your purchases to you, such as payment service providers, order packers, and delivery companies;
- Professional service providers, such as marketing agencies, advertising partners and website hosts, who help us run our business;
- Our distributors, agents, sub-contractors or other associated organizations with the purpose of them providing services to you on our behalf;
- We may provide third parties with aggregated but anonymized information and analytics about our customers and, before we do so, we will make sure that it does not identify you.
We will disclose your personal information if required by law or if we, as a company, reasonably believe that disclosure is necessary to protect LUMICKS’ rights and/or to comply with a judicial proceeding, court order, or legal process. However, we will do what we can to ensure that your privacy rights continue to be protected.
LUMICKS may transfer some of your personal data to countries outside of the European Union, as some of these parties are based outside of the EU. In that event, LUMICKS will make sure that there exists an adequacy decision by the European Commission or that there are other suitable safeguards in place to protect your personal data in a sufficient manner. You may obtain a copy or substantiation of these guarantees and safeguards by sending an e-mail to that effect to email@example.com.
5. Our legal basis for collecting personal data
As set out in this Privacy Statement, we may collect and process your personal data on the basis of your consent or permission thereto, on the basis of contracts and the performance thereof, or on the basis of a legitimate interest of LUMICKS or a third party.
- Collecting personal data based on consents
The collection of personal data based on consent from the data subject will be done by using “Consent Forms” that will store documentation related to the consent given by you. Your consent will always be stored and documented in our systems to demonstrate such consent.
- Collecting personal data based on contracts
We use personal information for fulfilling our obligations related to contracts and agreements with customers, partners, and suppliers.
- Collecting personal data based on legitimate interest
We may use personal data if it is considered to be of legitimate interest and if the privacy interests of the data subjects do not override this interest. Normally, to establish the legal basis for data collection, an assessment has been made during which a mutual interest between LUMICKS and the individual person has been identified. This legal basis is primarily related to our sales and marketing purposes, to which you may always object.
6. How long do we keep your personal data?
We store personal data for as long as we find it necessary to fulfil the purpose for which the personal data was collected. In this respect we consider the need to answer your queries or resolve possible problems, to comply with legal or tax requirements under applicable laws and regulations, to attend to any legal claims/complaints, and for safeguarding purposes. This means that we may retain your personal data for a reasonable period of time after your last interaction with us. When the personal data that we have collected is no longer required, we will delete it in a secure manner. We may process data for statistical purposes, but in such cases, data will be anonymized.
The deletion of your personal data is further described in paragraph 9.
Functional cookies are strictly necessary for using this website, for instance for remembering to prevent having to click on the same message multiple times, to recognize the type of device used to visit our website or to remember your language preferences. In general, such cookies do not contain any personal information.
In addition, hereto, we also use certain analytical cookies to gather anonymous information about how our website is used via Google Analytics. The insights we draw from this information may help us improve our website. These cookies only have a limited impact on your privacy, as we have concluded a processing agreement with Google, the last octet of your IP address will be masked, we will not share any data other than for the purposes as mentioned above, and we do not use any other Google services in combination with these cookies.
You may prefer to disable cookies on this website and on others. The most effective way to do this is to disable cookies in your browser. We suggest consulting the Help section of your browser or taking a look at the About Cookies website which offers guidance for all modern browsers.
In addition, hereto, we will automatically process your IP address when you make use of one of our contact forms on our website to prevent any fraudulent use of these forms.
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorized access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online.
- All LUMICKS employees use encrypted computers;
- We store all company-related documents in a cloud-based storage that adheres to all necessary security features; and
- We store personal data in our business development CRM software (Pipedrive) and marketing automation platform (MailChimp). Both software have strict security measures in place with the purpose to protect company data from breaches. You can find more information about Pipedrive’s and MailChimp’s security measures here and here, respectively;
- We store personal data of our applicants in our recruitment CRM software (Hello Talent). Hello Talent is certified in accordance with ISO 27001 and exclusively hosts its software solutions in high security data centers within the EU. Furthermore, all of its employees who process or use personal data are obligated to maintain confidentiality.
- Our user platform Harbor takes all measures reasonably necessary to protect user personal information from unauthorized access, alteration or destruction; maintain data accuracy; and help ensure the appropriate use of personal information. Our measures:
- Include security safeguards reasonably designed to protect the integrity, availability, and resilience of our users’ data;
- Are appropriate to the nature, size, and complexity of LUMICKS’ and Harbor’s business operations;
- In the event of a data breach that affects your user personal information, we will act promptly to mitigate the impact of a breach and notify any affected users without undue delay;
- Transmission of data on Harbor is encrypted using SSL (TLS);
- No method of transmission, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure. Therefore, we cannot guarantee its absolute security.
9. Your rights to your personal data
You have the following rights with respect to your personal data:
- The right to obtain confirmation as to whether or not your personal data is being processed by LUMICKS and to request a copy of your personal data that LUMICKS holds about you;
- The right to request that LUMICKS corrects your personal data if inaccurate, incomplete or out of date;
- The right to request that your personal data is deleted when it is no longer necessary for LUMICKS to retain such data, you have withdrawn your consent, you have objected to the processing, the processing has been unlawful, or the data has to be erased on the basis of a legal obligation of LUMICKS;
- The right to withdraw any consent to personal data processing at any time. For example, your consent to receive e-marketing communications. If you want to withdraw your consent to e-marketing, please make use of the link to manage your subscriptions included in our communication. Please note that you may still receive system messages and administrative communications from LUMICKS, such as order confirmations, system messages, and notifications about your account activities;
- The right to request that LUMICKS provides you with your personal data and, if possible, to pass on this information directly (in a portable format) to another data controller when the processing is based on consent or contract;
- The right to request a restriction on further data processing, in case there is a dispute in relation to the accuracy or lawfulness of the processing of your personal data; and
- The right to object to the processing of personal data, in case data processing has been based on legitimate interest and/or direct marketing.
Any query about your Privacy Rights should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
10. Changes to this Privacy Statement
LUMICKS reserves the right to amend this Privacy Statement at any time. The applicable version will always be found on our websites. We encourage you to check this Privacy Statement occasionally to ensure that you are happy with any changes. If there are any significant changes to this Statement, we will send you a notification before the change becomes effective. If you have an unresolved privacy or data use concern that we have not addressed satisfactorily, please contact us by sending an e-mail to email@example.com.
11. Your right to complain with a supervisory authority
If you are unhappy with the way in which your personal data has been processed or we have handled your request, you may, in the first instance, contact firstname.lastname@example.org. If you remain dissatisfied, then you have the right to apply directly to your national supervisory authority for a decision and to lodge a complaint.
This privacy statement was last updated in July 2020.