History of LUMICKS
Discovering new parameters
• Launched z-Movi Cell Avidity Analyzer to the public and made first sales and collaborations with biotech companies (LAVA therapeutics, Glycostem, Leucid Bio) and academia.
• Installed C-Trap and m-Trap instruments in world-leading institutes in 4 continents: National Institutes of Health (NIH), Emory University, Technical University of Munich (TUM), RIKEN – Center for Brain Science in Japan, the National Centre for Biotechnology (CNB) in Spain, University of Chile and many more.
• Successfully adapted to the pandemic, and still hired 42 new LUMIs and grew to 130 employees.
• Established the first office in Beijing to serve the APR market.
• Launched DSM consumables line and Harbor script-sharing platform to make DSM analysis easier and more reproducible.
• Installed an ML-II (biosafety level 2) lab at the LUMICKS headquarters.
Left: The z-Movi® Cell Avidity AnalyzerExplore the z-Movi® Cell Avidity Analyzer
Onward and upward
• LUMICKS grew to over 100 employees, doubling that of the previous year.
• We moved our Amsterdam HQ from Vrije University to a vast 1750-meter-squared complex which we fit with 7 unique meeting rooms, advanced R&D facilities, and a dedicated area for seminars.
• Our grand reopening was inaugurated by Dutch minister van Engelshoven.
• Expanded the C-Trap® with the Surface Assay Toolkit (SAT): unique assortment of new features to deliver ultra-stable surface arrays at the single-molecule level.
• More sales to key institutions worldwide: Universities of Munich, Tel Aviv, Vermont, Tianjin, Vanderbilt, NIH and Albert Einstein College of Medicine.
Right: Microtubules imaged in real time using the C-Trap optical tweezers correlated with widefield and label free microscopy.Explore the new features of the C-Trap® Optical Tweezers
Expanding across new markets
•First sales in South America & Australia; new customers in TU Delft, University at Buffalo, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Semmelweis University, Ludwig Maxmillian University and many more.
• LUMICKS grows to 55 people.
• Established the first Center for dynamic single-molecule drug research in partnership with AstraZeneca and the University of Cambridge.
• Entered the immunology market with z-Movi® for Cell avidity measurements.
• Launched G2 product line & next-gen Bluelake software.
• Developed Surface Assay toolkit for use in cell biology.
Left: The LUMICKS team, end of 2018.Meet the team
A global presence
• Sales to Imperial College London, Johns Hopkins University, University of Zurich and more.
• First Pharmaceutical Customers.
• 30% revenue from China.
• Opened LUMICKS’ first US Sales office in Boston, Massachusetts.
• Received series A funding.
• The company grew to 38 employees.
• Started investing in scale-up.
Right: Release of the m-Trap®Discover the m-Trap®
Key accounts and broadening technologies
• Sales to Rockefeller University, AMOLF, ShanghaiTech University, University of Göttingen.
• First Nature publication with data captured using C-Trap®.
• Organic growth.
• Developed Acoustic Force Spectroscopy technology.
• First C-Trap installations in peer-reviewed journals.
• LUMICKS grew to 19 FTEs.
• Break even.
Left:Co-founder & CEO Olivier Heyning accepts the 2016 Young Start-up Award. Picture by Eric BrinkhorstExplore more publications, news and events
• First C-Trap sales following product introduction.
• BIOCEV Prague & MPI-CBG, the first two C-Trap users.
• 12 employees.
Right: The C-Trap®Discover the applications
• First component sale to Harvard.
• License agreement.
• LUMICKS was founded.
Left: Co-founder Andrea Candelli demonstrating LUMICKS Technology to State Secretary Sander Dekker.Explore the technology