High-throughput label-free cell interaction studies
High-throughput Label-free Cell Interaction Studies
z-Movi™ is a breakthrough technology for research and development of personalized therapies, including immunotherapy. It is the first platform able to directly measure the strength of interaction, or avidity, between cells with specific targets and sort cells of interest, in a high throughput and label-free manner.
The essence of the z-Movi technology lies in a glass microfluidic chip with a piezo element that generates resonant acoustic waves (ultrasound). These resonant acoustic waves are used to exert forces on cells.
The illustration above shows multiple cells interacting with targets. These targets can be adherent cells — such as tumor cells — or ligands coated to the surface of a chip.
Quantification of the cell-target interaction strength is possible by exerting forces on thousands of cells in parallel and measuring the rupture force at the single-cell level. Cells interacting with the targets require a certain amount of force to detach from their partners.
The higher the interaction strength between the cells and their targets, the higher the force one needs to apply in order to separate them. Avidity-based sorting of cells can be achieved by gradually increasing the force while flushing out and collecting the consequently detaching cells. In this way, it is possible to sort subpopulations of cells based on their interaction strength with the specific target.
The z-Movi™ Set-up
The core of the z-Movi platform is the microfluidic glass chip with integrated piezo transducers that create an acoustic force field. This acoustic field effectively applies forces on the cells of interest without the need for any labeling or alteration of those cells.
Automated Force Field Generator
For the controlled application of highly-precise pulling forces:
• Applied acoustic forces are non-invasive
• Cell fractions can be isolated and collected for further experimental use
Automated Microfluidics and Cell Sorting
• Up to 10 different channels, individually controlled to create different gradients
• Highly-controlled fluid- and temperature environment
• Option for gas-conditioned fluidics
• Effective cell incubation and experimentation
• Introduction of multiple cells and/or components within one experiment
• Fast switching between different collection tubes for the isolation of cell fractions based on their target-specific avidity
• Real-time software-controlled cell counting